How to Prepare for Surgery
Day before your procedure
- Follow your doctor’s instructions, if given, regarding your preparation for the procedure.
- You should not eat or drink anything after midnight on the night prior to your procedure, unless instructed otherwise.
- Please arrange to have someone drive you home after your procedure unless no anesthetic is required for your procedure. The medications you will receive have sedative effects that slow your reflexes, so it is unsafe to drive after your procedure.
- A member of our nursing staff will call you the day before your procedure to give you the time of arrival and to go over your medical history, medications and any other pertinent information.
Day of your Procedure
- Leave all jewelry and valuables at home.
- Wear comfortable clothing that is easy to take off and put on.
- Bring your insurance card(s). All insurance information & referrals must be obtained prior to performing the procedure otherwise you will be financially responsible.
- Bring a list of your current medications, a copy of your Living Will and Power of Attorney – if applicable.
- Arrive promptly on the day of your procedure as indicated during your pre-op phone call.
- Sign in and register with our receptionist. All patients are asked to sign a consent form before their procedure to authorize the doctor to perform the procedure.
- Your family/driver may wait in our waiting room or may leave after providing us with a contact number.
- After your procedure, you will be monitored in our Recovery Room and given refreshments.
- After your recovery, your doctor will talk with you, if needed, and the nurses will give you verbal and written discharge instructions.
Day after your procedure
- You will receive a follow up call from one of our nursing staff to discuss any concerns you may have.
- Please call your doctor’s office if you have any discomfort or concerns.